Going Fishin'

Going Fishin'
Red Sunset

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal

Each spring Dave Lehman and I have a friendly wager on who will catch the first 6-pound-plus smallmouth at Presque Isle Bay/Lake Erie. The bet is always (well, almost always) resolved between April 7th and 15th when the first movement of big smallies from the main lake arrive at Bay drop-offs. With unseasonably warm weather of late, we thought the date might be pushed up a bit. So on Good Friday, Dave and I made our first Erie trek seeking bronze
We checked all the usual Bay spots from 8 to 20 with hair jigs, blade baits, spoons, grubs and tubes. Apparently smallies had not been advised that 80 degree temperatures had warmed Bay water a little quicker than normal. It was so calm that we even ran out onto the main lake to look for really deep fish – all to no avail.

I have several writer friends scheduled to arrive in Erie for three days of fishing the early bass bite on the Bay. Am I worried about not catching a single smallmouth last Friday, April 2? Not really. Smallies operate under their own timetable, and when Mother Nature gives them the “go” signal, they will show up like clockwork.
I’m so sure that we’ll encounter big smallies that I’ve informed the group if we don’t catch at least one 6-pound smallie for photos then I’ll shave my beard. Be sure to check this blog on April 15 to see whether I’m beardless!

Oh, the picture on this post? Dave Lehman’s first 6-pound-plus of two seasons ago – taken on his 3rd cast of the year into PIB.

1 comment:

  1. Nice picture, I think I know that guy in the red sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete