Going Fishin'

Going Fishin'
Red Sunset

Monday, April 1, 2013

Winter River Bite Continues


The never-ending winter continues in NW PA.  I had planned an Erie trip for smallmouths over the weekend, but I didn't get my boat rigged and ready in time.  So I hitched a ride on a river boat with Gamma Fishing president Dale Black and Gamma production manager Chris Wolfgong.  With water temperature not able to climb out of the 40s yet, Allegheny River smallmouths are still in deep wintering spots with little indication they are moving soon. 

The boat count for the day was 30 smallmouth landed, with the biggest going 19-3/4 inches taken by Chris.  Smallies were taken on coldwater finesse jigs and tubes - surprisingly hair jigs didn't get a bite.  My better fish came on a 3" Get Bit Baits Crawling Tube - my favorite winter tube.  The Clarion Crew (Steve Hughes, Duff Kerle and friend) were fishing nearby on the same section of river.  They tallied 36 smallies on tube jigs.
The Clarion Crew
Chris Wolfgong & Dale Black
Reports from anglers who went to Erie indicated the smallmouth were still in a deep sleep.  But the alarm clock should ring by the next warm up later this week.  If not blowing on Thursday, Erie here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment